Dogs and Vaping – The Dangers of Nicotine
I love vaping, the flavours, the clouds, the end of using stinky cigarettes! That being said though, as most of society is, I am a dog person. And consequently because of my never-ending love for my hairy ball of sunshine. I have my fur child with me 90% of the time. We go everywhere and do everything together. I seriously love my dog and would never do anything to hurt her. So what are the dangers of dogs and vaping, can vaping around my fur child cause her harm?
Dogs and Vaping – Deadly Toxins
Most e-Liquids nicotine content ranges anywhere between 3mg and 24mg. Nicotine, in case you weren’t aware, is incredibly toxic to dogs. In fact, in a 30ml bottle of 12mg e-Liquid, the nicotine content is about equal to that of a pack of cigarettes. Whereas in a single cartridge of e-Liquid, the nicotine content is the equivalent of 1-2 cigarettes. Either or, if your dog gets a hold of a bottle or cartridge of e-Liquid, these items are poisonous and serious action must be taken as time is a matter of essence. Dogs may become seriously ill and in some cases, where high dosages of nicotine were ingested, death could occur.
Symptoms of e-Liquid/Electronic Cigarette Toxicity
If you have the slightest inclination that your dog has ingested any e-Liquid, go to the veterinarian immediately. Absorption thru the mucous membrane in a dogs mouth can happen very quickly, with symptoms of nicotine poisoning showing in as little as 15 minutes. But in some cases, the symptoms can take up to an hour to show. As stated previously, time is of the essence when dealing with nicotine poisoning. In severe cases with high nicotine levels ingested, death could occur.
- Increased Heartbeat
- Abdominal Pain
- Erratic Heartbeat
- Cardiac Arrest
- Increased Blood Pressure
- Excessive Drooling
Treatment of Nicotine Poisoning
Once at the veterinarian, based on the symptoms your dog is exhibiting, a proper examination can be performed. Your vet may choose to run blood work and urine analysis exams to determine the extent of the toxicity left on your dog. Initially, the vet will begin stabilizing your four-legged friend to minimize any adverse effects. Bear in mind that there is no antidote for nicotine poisoning. Proper medical attention by a professional must be taken. Once stabilized your four-legged friend will begin receiving supportive care in the form of activated charcoal, an IV drip and oxygen if required.
Sadly, your dog may experience seizures from the toxins. Your vet may administer mild tranquillizers to alleviate the pressure on the heart and other vital organs. Your vet may also prescribe medications to lower fever, lower blood pressure and to support the circulatory system. Consistent monitoring of your dog’s oxygen intake is critical. As said previously, during the supportive care, oxygen is supplied when required. But sometimes this isn’t enough and an oxygen tent is required.
As long as your dog shows signs of responsiveness towards the treatment during the first 4 hours of ingestion, everything should be ok. If your dog does not show signs of responsiveness and immediate action wasn’t taken, your vet will do everything to make them comfortable. The best thing to do is to keep e-Liquids/eJuices out of reach. Yes, we vapers love our e-Liquids, but e-Liquids are so easy to replace. And even easier to take proper care of in the first place! So remember, keep e-Liquids away from dogs, all animals actually. And if heaven forbid, your dog gets into your e-Liquids, remember that time is of the essence. Get your butt to the vet ASAP dogs and vaping do not mix!